How should I clean my leather garment?
Proper care and treatment of your leather garment increases the life of it and allows you to continue enjoying the style and benefits of having a leather jacket that’s as good as new.
Here are a few simple steps to help you clean your leather garment.
- Remove any dust or dirt by using a soft brush and gently brushing to the garment.
- Clean the garment using a cleaning solution of water (preferably distilled water) and neutral soap (without any chemicals). Moisten a microfiber cloth or sponge with the solution and gently wipe down, from top to bottom, the outside of the garment.
- Dampen another cloth with just the water and wipe the garment again to remove the soap.
- Wipe off any excess water to ensure no water marks are left on the garment and quickly dry with a clean towel.
- Hang the garment to let it dry naturally. Never use an air dryer and keep the garment away from direct sunlight and heat sources.
P.S. For deep cleaning, it is always recommended to go to a cleaner that specializes in leather.
- How should I store my leather garment?
In order to maintain the looks and shape of your leather garment, it is highly important to know how to store your leather garment.
Here are a few suggestions that will help you keep your leather jacket in proper shape.
- Use a breathable garment bag for storing the leather jacket, avoid plastic packaging.
- Use padded or wooden hangers to hang the leather jacket, this will help keep the garment in shape.
- Do not keep or hung the garment folded.
- Always store the leather garment in a cool and dry place and keep it away from direct sunlight or high heat sources.
- Can I wear a leather jacket in the rain?
Whilst mild rain is perfectly okay and wouldn't cause any or much damage to your leather jacket, the leather should not be exposed to significant amounts of moisture over a prolonged length of time.
In case, the leather may come into contact with water or exposed to rain, you should quickly wipe it off and allow it to dry by hanging the garment in a cool & dry place, far from direct sunlight and heat sources.
- What else should I do for the care of my leather garment?
Our leather jackets are not water-resistant by default and exposure to water and significant amounts of moisture can make your jacket brittle and dry.
If you choose, you can apply a water-resistant product to your garment, following the instructions of the manufacturer; however, The Jacket Maker does not take any responsibility for any damage caused by the use of such products.
It is advisable to keep your jacket clean from dust and dirt, and condition it once or twice a year to maintain the new looks of the leather, as well as keeping it strong and providing it with some protection from water damage.
We also recommend you to avoid dry cleaning, machine washing, tumble drying, using bleach, detergents and chemical soaps, ironing and force drying your leather garment. Additionally protect your leather garment from direct sunlight, rain, humidity, alcohol, oil, grease, and other abrasive products and cleaners with caustic ingredients.